Case Studies Happy Family Organics | Case Study: Fulfillment

When exponential growth led to logistics growing pains, Happy Family Organics® sought out a new third-party provider with the experience and resources to accommodate a growing business.

The Challenge

The start-up process was complicated by a tight timeline, higher than anticipated volume, and an expanded scope of work. Saddle Creek Logistics Services rose to the challenge with a scalable fulfillment solution.

The Solution

Leaping into action, Saddle Creek flew in experienced associates to streamline the transition. In just eight days, the team transferred 150,000 square feet of product from the previous 3PL to a new facility in Joliet, Ill.

When actual inbound product exceeded projections, the 3PL expanded warehouse space by approximately 25 percent to provide more room for staging and implemented a revised storage solution that resulted in greater storage density and increased operational efficiency.

The need for value-added services such as creating variety packs, building displays and labeling added another level of complexity. Approximately half of all outbound shipments must be labeled with lot and date codes for retail compliance. In addition, products are shipped based on retailer shelf-life requirements, so orders must be picked strategically to prevent product obsolescence. Saddle Creek’s team was well-equipped to handle the increased activity, adding a third shift and system enhancements to increase output and decrease overtime costs.

The 3PL also handles inbound and outbound transportation services. Approximately 75 percent of orders ship LTL or TL, utilizing the 3PL’s brokerage services. The remaining 25 percent are picked up by customers.

The Results

The new facility was up and running within 30 days and went live ahead of schedule, helping to minimize downtime. When order volume came in ahead of projections in the first month of outbound shipping, Saddle Creek processed and shipped approximately 125 percent of expected order volume.

To accommodate significant sales growth, the 3PL now handles approximately 1.2 million cases each month (150 percent more volume than originally planned) and fulfilled a record number of orders during the most recent quarter close.

Happy Family Organics is extremely pleased with the start-up and looks forward to growing with Saddle Creek.

Download the Case Study

Saddle Creek provided critical business intelligence, streamlined processes to improve throughput and took unexpected changes in stride. They got us up and running in record time.
Stephanie Haynes
VP Customer Solutions & Collaboration Happy Family Brands