Cross-docking offers many benefits including:
1. Increased speed to market – With high turn rates and reduced handling, cross-docking helps to increase efficiency and get products to market faster.
2. Reduced costs – Cross-docking requires a smaller footprint than traditional warehousing and often utilizes less labor as well.
3. Improved service levels – Because product is shipped in bulk and picked at the cross-dock, the practice offers great flexibility for changes to orders further down the supply chain.
Saddle Creek has been operating successful cross-docks for more than 30 years. Our cross-dock customers include a wide range of well-known companies – a Club-store chain, a well-known home improvement retailer, a major national bakery brand and more.
We are always looking for improvements to help make cross-docking an even more effective option for our customers:
- Wireless technology improvements make it easier to track trailers and improve yard productivity.
- System enhancements have improved visibility of order tracking.
- Dock layout enhancements and process improvements allow products to move through our cross-dock operations even faster.